Not making a difference since 2006. Blog motto: Always be sincere whether you mean it or not.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Everyone has won and all must have prizes-The education crisis continues

Over at Drudge there was a link to an article entitled, Oberlin students want to abolish midterms and any grades below C.

Moi, I was born too soon. I admit to being four years of goofing off other than in my major subject. The agitation that would have made me do even less work would have seen me play my part. Well no, I would have just enjoyed the fruits of other peoples' labors.

At Oberlin (where else?) the little Social Justice Warriors are so tired from their labors, they want a pass from they are actually there for because it pales in comparison to the mission of not hanging out with white people and other important stuff.

My desire to be at the opening of any keg or some other diversion meant that I was not learning something else. Was that a good idea? From my immediate post college employment prospects, no. Did I miss anything important? I found philosophy classes interesting, but not even to make effort and regret that. My brush with sociology is such that though there were some earnest and honest practioners, it is of little worth to the society and there are many, many snake oil salesmen in that non-discipline.

The truth of the matter is, yeah I could pull it together to get the C average, but the school would have been within reason if they had tossed me out as wasted space.

Now are the Social Justice kids doing something so vital that grades should not be awarded for the successful completion of the course of study. The young lady or young man may be doing important work

If that is so, why go to college at all if it means so little?


There has got to be somewhere else they can be coddled so they can get on with the real work of societal improvement.

No comments: