Not making a difference since 2006. Blog motto: Always be sincere whether you mean it or not.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Well Saddam is gone and I have little to say on the matter. The bloggers who have the best comments are in my humble opinion:

Martin Kelly

Dennis Dale

Josh Marshall

No Jimmy Cagney in Angels With Dirty Faces, he played his last hand as well as he could and had a good death. I wonder if our assorted warbloggers could do as well.

Anyway, If anyone has the address of the Iraqi AG, please let me know as I am working on a letter, rough draft below.

Dear Sir,

forgive my impertinence. I know you have just finished a long and arduous case and though I do not wish to bother you, this is, in my opinion, a matter of some import.

During what was known as the Gulf War I, as the ground campaign began, American Radio broadcast appeals to the Iraqi people encouraging them to rise up against the late Saddam Hussein. When people of your country did revolt, they were not given the promised assistance. They were slaughtered and I have heard figures of over 100,000 deaths in the ensuing conflict and reprisals. I doubt anyone would have volunteered to risk themselves had we not promised support. I do not know how Iraqi law governs these matters, but I would guess many in the administration of the current chief executive's father bear some complicity in the tragic events. Maybe you would wish to seek some extraditions. How high you go is up to you.

Also, that famous gassing, I believe we were de facto if not de jure allies at the time. Though no one in the administration at that time said a word, The current administration feels that that was such a horrible crime, as do many of my countrymen and woman who wax hysterical on the subject. I am sure they would feel it a stain on their honor if they did not give you every assistance.

I am not a lawyer, so I don't even know if anything I've mentioned is actionable. Best of luck.

No comments: